Monday, December 3, 2007

Our Little Family!



There is an old saying that says, "You didn't pick your family, but you love them anyway." Well this year, I am adding something to that littIe saying. I have the family that I "didn't pick", so to speak, and I love them more than words can say. But I have recently discovered a new meaning for family; Friends! My two roommates and I have become so close just over the past semester. We were all friends last year, but living together has obviously strengthened our friendship. I feel like we are the modern, all-girl version of Three's Company; we laugh together, cook together, cry together, get mad at each other over stupid stuff, and get on each other's nerves from time to time. But at the end of the day, we are family. We share a home and have already made so many wonderful memories together...just the three of us! I feel like its a part of growing up. You have your family that you have known your entire life who will always be your base; they taught you the morals, values, and beliefs that have helped shape the person you have become. Then you have your "new family," the one's you choose to surround yourself with because you see some glimmer of yourself in them. You share common interests, you trust each other, and you can count on them to keep you grounded. And as time passes and you grow older, you will form a family of your own that you create. You will marry your life partner and start a family together, one in which you will always be the "base." I find it really neat and fascinating that we are able to find and form multiple families in one lifetime. Thus far, I only have 2 families, but I am so grateful for both of them! And I look foward to creating another family somewhere down the road. But for right now, I am focusing on appreciating and cherishing the family I have, especially this new family that is getting stronger everyday!

No comments: