Monday, December 3, 2007

Venezuela Says "NO" to Chavez!



Hugo Chavez experienced his first ever electoral defeat today. Chavez proposed a change to the Venezuelan Constitution that would allow him, if elected, to remain in power indefinately. Voters rejected the constitutional reform by 51% to 49%. Chavez admits, "I understand and accept that the proposal I made was quite profound and intense." That's an understatement if you ask me. Hugo Chavez, who is a close alli and friend to Fidel Castro, would be unstoppable if he had been elected. A total dictatorship would reside over Venezuela and while he claims to be a "man of the people," I hardly believe that to be true. Chavez was definately humbled by his defeat and advised the citizens of Venezuela to be calm and stop the violence in the streets. I was suprised to see how close the vote was; a 2% difference is a very close race. I can't imagine having enough faith in one person to run my country until his, or her, life was over. Things change over time. People change for that matter. A country needs someone who is in touch with the changes taking place in society and someone who has a fresh outlook and approach for handling them. Hugo Chavez and Venezuela have gone hand-in-hand for year. I think it's about time Venezuela caught a break. Luckily, this defeat will prevent Chavez from running for re-election in 2012!

No comments: