Wednesday, November 7, 2007

A Stereotype or A Play on Reality?



Most people have seen this video, but I still find it hilarious! And the more I watch it, the more I realize that I know people who actually act like that. Obviously they don't rap about it, but they talk about "new money" and "old money" and things of that sort. SMU is known for being a classy, very preppy university that is attended by student's of fortunate backgrounds. Mainly because of how expensive tuition is, but also because of the way some students represent the school. I am not trying to point fingers or say that I am completely innocent, but I have to point out the obvious. If you walk down the boulevard during a tailgate at SMU, you will find yourself completely surrounded with Prada, Gucci, Louis Vuitton and Fendi labels. Anything that can possibly have a visible logo is tarnished with gaudy labels; everything from sunglasses to shoes; head to toe literally. People, or their parent's, pay up to $3,000 for a handbag that cost about $10 to make. The reason: the label. People are craving social acceptance and feel that showing off their material posessions will grant them a "VIP" pass into a group of snobby girls. Even guys at SMU are victims of the "social hammer." I love that they guys at SMU, for the most part, are well-dressed and present themselves in an appropriate manner. But I also find it funny that some of them are just as consumed with labels are the girls are. I am completely generalizing here so it's not at all fair to say this stereotype goes for everyone at SMU, but it sure seems to describe the majority. I love SMU and can't imagine spending the best 4 years of my life anywhere else. But whether I point it out or not, the craving for social acceptance surrounds our campus and steers the lives many student's choose to lead.

No comments: