Wednesday, October 3, 2007

The "Little" Things in Life



This adorable picture was taken at Camp Mystic, the summer camp I have attended since the age of 7. You are only allowed to be a camper until the summer before your senior year. So last summer, I took on the task of being a counselor for 19 9-10 year old girls for 1 month- the girls with the biggest smiles in the front of the picture were my campers. I had two co-counselor's in my cabin, Wiggle Inn, and during the day I was one of many lifeguards for the entire camp. Throughout the term, I was faced with several situations I was not prepared for, but overall, it was the most rewarding experience in my life thus far. Tucking 19 little girls in every night and having them jump on your bed every morning may not sounds like too much fun to some people, and I had my doubts in the beginning. I wondered if I had what it takes to "parent" 19 soon-to-be 5th graders; if they would like me; if I would be fun or cool. As silly as it sounds, I was actually terrified of these little girls. But for everything I gave those little girls, they paid me back in full! I walked away from that month feeling like I had grown so much as a person and as a woman. While they tested my patience, annoyed me, asked me questions I was NOT prepared to answer, and blatantly disobeyed me, they helped me discover myself. I barely got paid and honestly I didn't care. Having this experience the summer before I embarked on the biggest journey of my life, leaving for college, was perfect timing! I will always cherish that month when 19 little girls helped me find the person I am today!

1 comment:

Ali said...

wow...very interesting site, thank you!!