Sunday, October 28, 2007

Uruguay!



For spring break my junior year in high school, my Dad and Stepmom took one of my best friends and I to Uruguay for a week! It was so much fun! It was my first trip to South America and I absolutely loved it. Unlike most South American countries, Spanish is the main language in Uruguay and luckily I speak enough Spanish to get by. Uruguay is filled with historic architecture and monuments that date back several centuries. We spent 2 nights in Montevideo, the capital, and 5 nights in Punta del Este, a popular vacation place for natives and foreigners. The beaches are beautiful, although the sand is a bit rough compared to most beaches. The weather is ideal; cool but not cold. And the people are so friendly! In South America, it is a custom to spend 2 hours at each meal. You talk with friends and family, enjoy wine and several courses of amazing food! Typically, people don't eat dinner until 9:30 pm, so if you're a 7:00 pm dinner person, South America may not be your cup of tea. But I found it to be enchanting and inviting and I am looking foward to my next visit!

No comments: